Sack race at Swain County’s annual Heritage Festival
Celebrating the Seasons
Throughout the year, Bryson City offers family-friendly festivals and events sure to please. Beginning in late spring, we celebrate the fresh fruits and vegetables grown here with events at Darnell Farms, and at our Farmer’s Market (May through October). In August, we show-off home-grown produce and farm animals at the County-wide Agricultural Fair, complete with judging and ribbons.
In Fall, we celebrate pumpkins with you-pick spots on the farm and also a fun-filled festival on the Nantahala River. And we top it off with our Annual Downtown Trick-or-Treat, Enjoy a family friendly, safe, and small-town Halloween event. With the streets closed, the kids are out in full force to fill their bags with candy from the costumed downtown merchants. And don’t forget to dress up your furry friends for the Canine Critter Contest. Enjoy some games and a photo opp at the Caboose.
We showcase our Appalachian heritage on Memorial Day weekend at the county’s heritage festival, complete with a cross-cut log-sawing contest, sack races, clogging, great food and music. In the fall, there are two other regional Heritage Festivals.
Christmas celebrations begin in early November and include not only Polar Express and our Christmas Parade, but a Christmas drive-thru light show and wonderland hayrides under the trees at Darnell Farms. Check out the full schedule of Holiday events.
Our neighbors in Cherokee celebrate their heritage in summer with stories around a bonfire, fishing tournaments and their annual PowWow in July.
Planning a trip to Bryson City? Check out our events calendar to see if one of these festivals or events is happening.
On the Farm
Darnell Farms celebrates holidays, as well as fruits and vegetables in season with music, crafters and vendors at their farm on the banks of the Tuckasegee River.
- St. Patrick’s Day – March
- Eggstraganza – Easter
- Strawberry Jam – May
- Summer Splash – June
- Sweet Corn Festival – July
- Peach Jam – July
- Watermelon Bash – July
- Sunflower Hippie Festival – August
- Back to School Bash – August
- Fall Frenzy – September
- Plow Day & Harvest Festival – October
- Christmas Wonderland Hayrides – November – December
Heritage & Freedom
Experience the heritage of the mountains of Western North Carolina at these festivals throughout the year.
- Swain County Heritage Festival – Memorial Day Weekend
- Freedom Fest – July
- Swain County Agricultural Fair – August
- Mountain Heritage Day – September
- Harvest Festival (Stecoah) – October
- Bonfire Stories – Memorial Day Weekend – October (days vary)
- PowWow – July
- Fishing Tournaments – April, Memorial Day Weekend, July, August
Smoky Mountain Farmers & Artisans Market. Stop by the old barn by the river for local, homegrown produce as well as baked goods, jellies and preserves, authentic crafts, and more. Food truck, picnic tables, musicians. Leashed pets welcome. Fridays & Saturdays, May thru October. A festive Holiday Market is held on select weekends in November and December,
The Nantahala River is a fun place to be when these family-friendly outdoor festivals kick into gear.
- Spring Fling at Nantahala Outdoor Center – April
- Nantahala Open at Endless River Adventures – April
- River & Brews Festival at Nantahala Outdoor Center – August
- GAF at Nantahala Outdoor Center – September
- NOCtoberfest at Nantahala Outdoor Center – October
Subscribe to Stories From The Smokies
Every few weeks, you'll receive an email previewing our latest blog post and a link to the online story. We hope you'll enjoy our stories, but you can unsubscribe at any time.